Re: [ccp4bb]: converting Xplor to PDB coordinate files

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, Edward Berry wrote:

> Is it the case that PDBSET keyword ELEMENT no longer works after v 3.3?
> If so, how do people convert Xplor/CNSv0.1 files to standard
> pdb format for sfall? My irons are all changing to flourines!
> (OK, it wouldn't kill me to edit manually, but automation is nice)
> ATOM  15780  FE  HEM     1      23.137 134.086  77.947  1.00 38.60      KKKK

i have seen a problem with such programs also confusing calcium with alpha
carbons.

the PDB standard says: atom names in columns 13-16, with the element name
right-justified in columns 13-14.

the best way i have found of handling metals in PDB-type files between
various programs, some of which do not respect column placement, is to
use 4 letter atom names.  so instead of "FE  " i would use "FE+2" or
"FE+3".  that way programs which read the element correctly from columns
13-14 are happy (such as many CCP4 programs), programs which do not
respect column placement (such as FRODO, CNS and X-plor) will maintain the
column alignment because of the 4 letter names, and those programs which
care about atom type (such as X-plor and CNS) can be placated by writing
your topology files to support the 4 letter names.

this gets me through the various stages of model building and refinement,
and it is only when i am ready to submit coordinates to the PDB that i
would think about chopping the atom name to "FE  ", and i think you'll
find that the auto-dep procedure does that for you.

the only fly in this ointment is that the O'fficial PDB atom names for
some non-peptide groups, such as NAD, use 4 letter atom names for carbon,
oxygen and nitrogen.  this is why the special element columns were added
a few years ago.  bring this up to the folks at PDB and i think the
standard response goes something like 'mmCIF should fix this'.

cheers,

It is characteristic of thoughtful people that they don't understand some
things that to others are as plain as a pikestaff.  -  A. G. Cairns-Smith
                        David J. Schuller
                        modern man in a post-modern world
                        University of California-Irvine
                        schuller@uci.edu