Partial molecular replacement

On Jul 29,  5:28pm, Jinsong Liu wrote:
> Subject: partial molecular replacement
> ***    CCP4 home page http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html    ***

> I have been always wondering if it can be soleved by molecular replacement in
> the recipical space, not in the real space like ESSENS. Which program can
deal
> with it? I have a MAD phase, and 80% model fixed, how to use the NMR model to
> solve the rest of the structure? CAn Amore handle this?

 We have sometimes got MR solutions to problems like this, but it may not be
the easist way!

 The traditional way is to fix your 80% model;
 ( put them into TABFUM with the NOROTAT option; then the SOLUTIONRC will have
angles 0 0 0, and you can either run the TRAFUN stage, or just remember that
the solution will be the reverse of the centre-of-mass shift in TABFUN)

 Then make a second model from the NMR structure, run SOLUTIONRC with that
against all the data, where you would expect a very very weak signal..)

 then run TRAFUN again TABLE1 80%.tab TABLE2 nmr.tab
  with NMOL 2
 SOLUTIONTF1 FIX 1 80% one
  and all the s from the NMR model ( remember to put
SOLUTIONRC  2   ( to refer to TABLE2 )

 then you might pick out the answer..

A more sophisticated one is to mask out all the density from the 80% model from
your SHARP map

 ( overlapmap will do this.. use sfall to make an ATMMAP from the 80%, then
overlapmap with the keyword EXCLUDE to set all the grid points where there is
80% density to 0.00)

 Then you can use sfall again to generate structure factors from the remaining
grid points; which should correspond to the remaining 20% model, and run Amore
between those SFS as the hklin, and the NMR model..
 If you could get a ROTFUN solution you could also use the phases again to run
a phased translation.

 May work!  Let me know if it does!

 Eleanor Dodson

Eleanor J.Dodson, Chemistry Department, University of York, U.K.
Tel: Home +44 (1904) 42 44 49, work:  +44 (1904) 43 25 65