Re: Molecular replacement in real space

On Jul 30,  7:44pm, chunmin li wrote:
> Subject: Molecular replacement in real space
> ***    CCP4 home page http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html    ***
>
> Hi, there,
>
> We are now trying to solve a protein-inhibitor complex structure by combining
> both MR and MIR methods.  Although we have several heavy atom derivatives,
only
> one of them is relatively good.  Therefore we can not trace the chain on the
> MIR map.  We know the crystal structure of the inhibitor, which is one
seventh
> of the protein-inhibitor complex.  What we are doing now is searching
> this inhibitor on the MIR map using AmoRe (molecular replacement in real
> space).

> There are four molecules in the a. u.  From the results of self-rotation
> function calculation we know the four monomers in the a. u. are related by
> 222 symmetry.  Now four solutions of the rotation search satisfy the
> 222 symmetry.  The top solutions of translation search using them do not
> seem right (we looked the packing of the generated tetramer).

 But a generated tetramer of 4* 1/7 of the complex? Do you expect all the
inhibitors to fit together? Maybe it is the big protein which forms the
tetramer? with 4 little inhibitors on the edges?
> It is possible
> that the four solutions of the rotation search are wrong.  I am just
wondering
> that in the case that the four solutions of the rotation search are right,
> and translation solutions are buried in many possible solutions, is there a
> easy way to recognize the right translation solutions since we know the space
> group of the crystals and the heavy atom positions?  Is there any suggestion
> how to do molecular replacement using only a small part of the protein
> structure?

 I think it might be sensible to try a phased translation search with the
various rotation fn solutions..
 Or just look at where they sit in the SIR map..

 Eleanor Dodson

Eleanor J.Dodson, Chemistry Department, University of York, U.K.
Tel: Home +44 (1904) 42 44 49, work:  +44 (1904) 43 25 65