>From mclutter@nsf.gov Tue Aug 25 09:35:10 1998
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 98 19:35:36 EST
From: mclutter@nsf.gov
To: "Fred. Vellieux" <vellieux@ibs.ibs.fr>
Subject: Re: PDB move from BNL to Rutgers

Dear Dr. Vellieux:
As you may know, the PDB has been supported by NSF since the early
1970's through a series of awards each recommended on the basis of
merit review of unsolicited proposals. As the scale and cost of the
database grew significantly NSF support was augmented by funds from
DOE and NIH. In 1994 the first solicitation for proposals to operate
the database was issued. This led to an agreement to fund operation of
PDB through October,1999. Included in the agreement was the provision
for a new competition in 1998 to operate the database for another 5
years. Thus, a new solicitation was issued early in 1998. The ensuing
competition resulted in proposals that were reviewed by panels of
experts followed by site visits this month. A decision has been made
by the funding agencies based on strong recommendations from the
outside experts. Since negotiations are just underway, no public
announcement can be made regarding the award. Let me say only that the
decision was based on plans for the future and not on current or past
performance.
Thank you for your interest.

Mary E. Clutter