Re: free-atom refinement

I always refine metal ions unrestrained in order to obtain unbiased
metal-ligand distances. At 2.2 A resolution the B-value for a relatively
electron-rich atom as Fe should be well defined. As you suspect, the iron
site is most likely partially occupied (or occupied by e.g. Mg2+ ?) since
the surrounding ligands have significantly lower B-values.
Same happened to us on a dizinc protein, with one of the zincs having a
significantly higher B-value relative to the other neighboring zinc and
the ligands.
In our case data collected at the zinc white line were  available
which also showed a significantly lower peak height for the Zn with the
higher B in an anomalous map.
I would leave things as they are and mention the possibility of a
partially occupied metal site in the paper. You could set the B to 30 and
refine the occupancy to get an estimate of the occupancy.

-Norbert