RE: high B-factors for some ncs copies

As a counter point to Phil's remarks, I've taken a structure from the
database and rerefined it with tight NCS and been able to achieve the same
Rvalue, better geometry, lower RMSD between models, and lower RMSD of B.
This was a case in which one monomer of a trimmer had a much higher average
B than the other two monomers.  'course this wasn't the case when I applied
strong NCS restraints on B.  I wasn't tracking FreeR at that time, so some
will discount this but I wonder how many people just aren't committed enough
to the idea of NCS.  People want to give up on NCS very quickly, or at least
loosen their restraints, saying that there is some real difference between
NCS copies of their molecule.  I think what their seeing is that it's more
difficult to get the Rvalue down to the desired value with strong NCS.

I have to remark on several specifics of Phil's priority list.

point 1)  The map can be misleading--I suppose everybody has heard of model
bias.  It is particularly important to be concerned 'bout this at 2.8
angstrom resolution.

point 2)  You should rely on features observed in your map to indicate that
the models deviate from strict NCS not on different outcomes from
refinement.  If you use strong NCS you should have reduced phase error and
better ability to see real differences in your maps.

point 3)  No complaints

point 4)  There is more than one example of a moderate resolution structure
with these kinds of freeR's and highly suspicious B's ( I was going to give
out a specific PDB code but I fear upsetting somebody).  It probably is true
that you have not mistraced your molecule with the kind of freeR you get,
are your B's well treated...