Re: Re: aniso scaling

Hello..

	Continuing the argument on 'aniso' scaling..

>"Felix Vajdos" <vajdos@dna-mail4.gene.com> wrote:
>
>I don't have a good explanation for it, but my gut instinct tells
>me that it has to do with the fact that Xplor scales Fobs, not Fcalc.
>I can't really get my brain arond what may mathematically happening,...

	Well, if you look into the text books on crystallography, the
simple equation for R-factor calculation involves a 'scale factor' (k)
which is 'always' applied to Fcalc.

like..   R-factor =  Sigma(hkl)(w(|Fobs| - k|Fcalc|)/Sigma(hkl)|Fobs|
                                           ^
                                           |-> scale factor

Even, if you look into the XTALMACRO of the X-PLOR module..
you will find the following lines..

macro {scalef}
(

   #f=fcalc;    {name of structure factor array -- scaling will be applied }

   #fref=fobs;  {name of reference structure factor array (f will be scaled to
fref}

)

So, here, Fcalc is scaled to Fobs...

     If I am wrong in pointing out this.... I 'm sorry.

Sincerely,
Ravi.
	 |                   S.Ravichandran                     |
         |	        Senior Research Fellow -2               |
         |	Crystallography & Molecular Biology Division    |
         |	     Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics          |
 	 |            Sector-I, Block-AF, Bidhan Nagar          |
	 |		 Calcutta - 700 064, INDIA.             |
 	 |	      Email: ravi@cmb2.saha.ernet.in            |
	 |     URL: http://cmb2.saha.ernet.in/ravi.html         |
 	 |     Phone: 091-033-3375345-49 (5 lines) Ext.308      |
         |     Fax:   091-033-3374637                           |

"Stealing one's knowledge is plagiarism, from many is mere research!!!!"