Re: Masking

Fred. Vellieux wrote:

> ***    CCP4 home page http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html    ***
>
> David J. Schuller wrote:
>
> > there is no such thing as maskless averaging.
>
> I do not agree with this statement. A properly conceived density averaging
> program will offer this possibility.

> So, for proper NCS (e.g. 2-fold) one can give an e.d. map centered on
> particle on which averaging is to be carried out and "do it" without a
> mask. The density for both zones 1 and 2, where the NCS applies, will
> improve by the averaging operation, and the density outside will
> deteriorate.

I think you still need a mask, because non-crystallographic symmetry
is "local" symmetry. In your example, the region outside the proper
n-mer will include symmetry-related n-mers which will be obliterated,
the cell will no longer have the true symmetry, and calculated phases
will give bad density even for the n-mer that obeyed the ncs.

You could limit averaging (or phase calculation) to one asymmetric unit,
but an arbitrary asymmetric unit such as P212121 0-1 0-1 0-.25  will
contain part of several multimers, only one of which obeys the operator.

So the mask is really to define the asymmetric unit. A fairly simple mask
made by starting with a sphere centered in the multimer and expanded by
repeated cycles of "grow" and overlap-trimming until it fills the asu
might suffice, but I wouldn't call this "maskless averaging"

Now I realize you might be talking about a single cycle of density averaging
with no mask, not calculating phases but using the improved density
directly to make a mask to use in the next cycle. That sounds reasonable
to me, what happened to the sym-related multimers wouldn't matter.

Happy averaging,
Ed

--
Edward A. Berry, MailStop 3-250