Re: [ccp4bb]: Ammonium selenate for Se labelling of proteins

Dear Allan
          - I have been surprised at how well the metabolic inhibition
method of Van Duyne et al. works for E.coli.
          - original ref was Van Duyne, G. D. et al. (1993) J.Mol Biol.
vol. 229 pp105-124
          - this is a list of other papers that I think have used it.  The
basic idea is that you add a concentrated cocktail of amino-acids that
share that same biosynthetic pathway as Methionine and these naturally
down-regulate Methionine synthesis just before you add SeMet. So you don't
need a Met- strain.
          - I have a detailed protocol that worked for me (which you are
welcome to) but it is mostly just what I understood Van Duyne et al. to
have done.
          - regards
                   Martyn

      TI: Crystal structure of the N-terminal domain of the DnaB
          hexameric helicase
      AU: Fass_D, Bogden_CE, Berger_JM
      JN: STRUCTURE WITH FOLDING & DESIGN, 1999, Vol.7, No.6, pp.691-698

      TI: Crystallization and preliminary crystallographic studies of
          Sfp: a phosphopantetheinyl transferase of modular peptide
          synthetases
      AU: Mofid_MR, Marahiel_MA, Ficner_R, Reuter_K
      JN: ACTA CRYSTALLOGRAPHICA SECTION D-BIOLOGICAL CRYSTALLOGRAPHY,
          1999, Vol.55, No.Pt5, pp.1098-1100

      TI: Absence of interdomain contacts in the crystal structure of the
          RNA recognition motifs of sex-lethal
      AU: Crowder_SM, Kanaar_R, Rio_DC, Alber_T
      JN: PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED
          STATES OF AMERICA, 1999, Vol.96, No.9, pp.4892-4897

      TI: The crystal structure of ribosomal protein L22 from Thermus
          thermophilus: insights into the mechanism of erythromycin
          resistance
      AU: Unge_J, Aberg_A, AlKharadaghi_S, Nikulin_A, Nikonov_S,
          Davydova_NL, Nevskaya_N, Garber_M, Liljas_A
      JN: STRUCTURE, 1998, Vol.6, No.12, pp.1577-1586

      TI: X-ray crystal structure of C3d: A C3 fragment and ligand for
          complement receptor 2
      AU: Nagar_B, Jones_RG, Diefenbach_RJ, Isenman_DE, Rini_JM
      JN: SCIENCE, 1998, Vol.280, No.5367, pp.1277-1281

      TI: The crystal structure of Dps, a ferritin homolog that binds and
          protects DNA
      AU: Grant_RA, Filman_DJ, Finkel_SE, Kolter_R, Hogle_JM
      JN: NATURE STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY, 1998, Vol.5, No.4, pp.294-303

      TI: Crystallization and preliminary X-ray analysis of the 9 kDa
          protein of the mouse signal recognition particle and the
          selenomethionyl-SRP9
      AU: Doublie_S, Kapp_U, Aberg_A, Brown_K, Strub_K, Cusack_S
      JN: FEBS LETTERS, 1996, Vol.384, No.3, pp.219-221

      TI: Retrovirus envelope domain at 1.7 angstrom resolution
      AU: Fass_D, Harrison_SC, Kim_PS
      JN: NATURE STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY, 1996, Vol.3, No.5, pp.465-469