Re: [ccp4bb]: NCS averaging

Dear Jinsong,

If you have translational NCS of the type you suggest, you should
see a big peak in the native Patterson map at (0,0.1,0.5).  Do you
see that?

The bad news is that, if this is the case, NCS averaging is not
going to help you as much as you might hope.  NCS averaging gets
its power from the relationships between structure factors created
by molecules in different orientations, but your molecules are in
the same orientation.  Apologies for advertising, but Gerard
Kleywegt and I discuss this in a review article we published in
Structure a couple of years ago.  You might find that interesting,
because it also discusses the question of how to define the NCS
operators and envelope from the electron density map.

Randy J. Read
Department of Haematology, University of Cambridge
Wellcome Trust Centre for Molecular Mechanisms in Disease
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building     Tel: + 44 1223 336500
Hills Road                      Fax: + 44 1223 336827
Cambridge CB2 2XY, U.K.         E-mail: rjr27@cam.ac.uk