Re: [ccp4bb]: "locked" translation search

Risal wrote:

> ***    CCP4 home page http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html    ***
>
> Dear all,
>
>         I have a P212121 dataset with four molecules in the asu. I am
> trying to place my  model molecules in the cell with Amore. But the
> correlation coefficients (and R factors) are poor for both rotation and
> translation search hits (no peak really stands out above background). I
> used "rfcorr" to weed out poor/crystallographic hits in the cross-rotation
> search so that I could work with a smaller set of cross-rotation hits that
> I could visually inspect with a display program. I *think* I have one
> cross-rotation peak (hit) that I can use. This peak is related by a
> twofold to another (theta, phi, chi= 2, 23, 180).
>
>         When I do a straightforward translation search with my "best"
> hits, I get two molecules which bump into one another. This leads me to
> believe that things are going wrong during the translation search (due to
> the poor quality of peaks.)
>
>         Can Amore to do a 'locked' translation search so that it
> acknowleges my two-fold while doing the search (and therefore increase
> signal-to-noise)? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Dipesh Risal
> University of Rochester

 First of all, have you done a native patterson. With 4 molecules in the
asymmetric unit it is likely that there wll be some alignment. If you
get a peak with either x or y or z as 1/2 then you must consider whether
your space group could be incorrect - a pseudo-translation of 1/2 will
generate absences along that axis.

(in fact if you are using ccp4i this is the first instruction on the
task window..)

Secondly, does your model form a tetramer or a dimer? If so it is often
best to search with that rather than single molecules.
Thirdly if the pseudo symmetry aligns near to a crystallographic axis
the rotation may be disguised.

 But to answer your question, Amore can do a locked rotation function,
but it requires that you get the rotation function sorted.
 And you can use MOLREP which is more automated.

 Eleanor
Eleanor J.Dodson, Chemistry Department, University of York, U.K.
Tel: Home +44 (1904) 42 44 49, work:  +44 (1904) 43 25 65