Re: [ccp4bb]: digital imaging of crystals

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Phil Jeffrey wrote:

> If I might respecfully disagree with Harry Powell, flat bed scanners are
> often extremely poor negative/slide scanners.  They are especially
> atrocious for slides.  Much better to get a slide/negative scanner (HP,
> Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Poloroid all make respectible models), e.g. the HP
> Photosmart S20 gets good reviews.  There's a fair amount of www info out
> there on the "digital darkroom" if you want to go that route.

No need to be respectful about it - I haven't tried the slide/negative
adaptors so can't make any comment about their quality! However, I note
that the US price of the Photosmart S20 is $499 (last updated on HP's
website http://www.pandi.hp.com/pandi-db/prodinfo.main?product=photos20scanner )
is rather higher than the cost of the slide adaptors I suggested.

You pays your money and you takes your choice...

BTW, has anyone else posting to ccp4bb recently been getting messages
from "freind@cinoche.com" apologizing for _not_ spamming?

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre, Hills
Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH