RE: [ccp4bb]: equipment: microscope for crystallization

Hi Bill,

we've made very good experiences with Leica stereo microscopes. We use the
8x zoom Leica MZ75 with a 1.0x lens and a 10x ocular which gives a
magnification range between 6.3x-50x (you might consider to buy a 20x
ocular, instead). In addition we have a polarizer and analyser to judge
optical properties of crystals or simply to find them again, scales in the
ocular to measure the crystal size, and a basis that allows for a dark-field
observation (type HL; this is not really neccessary and quite expensive).
Light comes from a cold light source CLS100X with a flexible light
conductor.
There are interesting alternatives from Nikon, but they are similarily
expensive. I've heard the rumour, that Olympus has also some attractive but
cheaper stereo microscopes, but I don't know their products. I hope that
helps.

Good luck,

Dirk Kostrewa.

Dirk Kostrewa
Paul Scherrer Institut   e-mail: dirk.kostrewa@psi.ch
Life Sciences             phone: +41-56-310-4722
OSRA/007                    fax: +41-56-310-4556
CH-5232 Villigen PSI        WWW: http://www.sb.psi.ch
Switzerland