Re: R3 Intensity distribution...

Good morning Chris,

Your cumulative intensity distribution does look
like you may have a merohedral twinning. However the shape of
this distribution may be not a reliable indicator
(it will also depend on the resolution cut-off, completeness and
quality of your data.) Another thing to look at would be
the <I2>/<I>2 ratio, check out the 'Crystal Twinning Server'
by T. Yeates at al. (http://www.doe-mbi.ucla.edu/Services/Twinning/).

If you do have twinning, next thing to do would be to determine
the twinning operation. Look at your self-rotation function --
are there any strange two-folds? I think that if you have a substantial
twinning fraction then you might even be able to see
some additional symmetry on your pseudo-precession plots.
This is only after that that you go to the DETWIN pgm.

I once had a case of an R3 crystal but with perfect twinning
so that the apparent s/group was R32. I could solve it by molecular
replacement. Interestingly enough I could do some initial refinement
of my model in refmac using the original (prefectly twinned) data without any
'untwinning', and could bring my R and Rfree down to 0.31 and 0.35,
respectively.

Hope this helps,
                  Sergei.

--
Sergei V. Strelkov, Ph.D.                   Tel. ++41 61 267 2091 (lab)
M. E. Mueller-Institut,                                  692 3625 (home)