RE: HL coefficients from DM

Dear Ana,

in my experience, the HL coefficients after any kind of density modification
are vastly overestimated (to my knowledge, there is yet no program with a
good statistical treatment of density modification). If you use
maximum-likelihood refinement with these HL coefficients, it will be
dominated by them and nothing really happens during refinement. In REFMAC
you can downweight the HL coefficients, but at least in  my hands, that
never really worked satisfactorily. However, I've made VERY good experiences
using directly the HL coefficients of your heavy atom refinement and phasing
program (especially from SHARP!) in maximum-likelhood refinement.
Reasonably well weighted observed phases will help you a lot in completing
your initial partial model!

Good luck,
Dirk.

* Dirk Kostrewa                phone: +41-61-688-7750 *
* F.Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.       fax: +41-61-688-7408 *
* PRPC-S B65/R312                                     *
* CH-4070 Basel, Switzerland                          *
* e-mail: dirk.kostrewa@roche.com                     *