RE: not directly CCP4, but very fundamental

Hendrickson; Science (1991) 254:p53
<in a discussion of the fine structure of various atomic edges> 'These
resonant "white-line" features, which correspond to transitions to
unoccupied molecular orbitals, can be threefold greater than those expected
from isolated atoms.' (references Lye et al, PNAS 77:5884 (1980), Templeton
et al Acta Cryst A38:74 (1982) )

Nic Steussy