Re: Grease Machine

On Fri, 3 Dec 1999 crs16@cornell.edu wrote:

> ***    CCP4 home page http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html    ***
>

> I'm looking for a grease machine to grease crystallization plates and I
> was wondering if there were companies other than Hampton Research that
> offers one.
>
> Thanks
>
> Cindy Sinars
> crs16@cornell.edu
> Cornell University

Here's another easy way out to circumvent the handling of the grease that
we do in our lab:

Dilute the grease with silicone oil or mineral oil (say, ~10g grease with
1-2 ml of oil, but work it out yourself) so that it is not too thick.
Mix it thoroughly into a homogeneous mixture with the help of a spatula
(as you would beat coffee).  This dilute grease goes easily into a syringe
and the syringe is much easier to handle now and the grease works well
too! What we also do is, attach a 200ul tip at the mouth of the syringe so
that we get a very fine layering of the grease over the wells.
   Try it out, it works very well!
				Bhupesh.

P.S.  Surprisingly most of the replies you've got so far are to try
alternative methods of aplpying grease but none about the 'grease
machine'!

* Bhupesh Taneja, SRF                    *
*   Institute of Microbial Technology,   *
*   Sector 39-A,                         *
*   Chandigarh - 160 036. (INDIA).       *
* Ph: +91 172 695226 extn 494            *
* Email : bhupesh@bragg.imtech.ernet.in  *
*         bhupesht@yahoo.com             *
 http://www.bragg.imtech.ernet.in/~bhupesh