[ccp4bb]: Q: disulphide reduction in protein structures

Dear all,

Sorry this is not a CCP4 question.

Can buried (i.e. small or no solvent accessible surface area) disulphide
bonds be reduced to cysteines in general?  I have a structure in which 2
cysteines are in the right position to form a S-S bond but the electron
density shows otherwise.  My protein was purified in reducing
conditions.  However, from other evidences (structure homology), these
should form S-S.  Does anyone know of any published structure that can
shed light on my puzzle?  Thanks a lot.

Wai
Yu Wai CHEN, Ph.D. ..................   email:ywc@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
 Centre for Protein Engineering,             tel:+44-(0)1223-402148
 MRC Centre, Hills Rd, Cambridge CB2 2QH, UK fax:+44-(0)1223-402140
 WWW homepage: http://www.mrc-cpe.cam.ac.uk/~ywc