[ccp4bb]: Re: Ramachandran Idealization

your metaphor is besides the point. standard geometry
includes bond lengths and angles, planar groups,
getting your chirality right and not letting two atoms
occupy the same part of space - things we "know" and
which we don't really need xtallographic or nmr data for
to confirm. however, the conformational torsion angles
in proteins (phi, psi, chi1, ...) contain the essential
information about the structure of the protein - determining
their values is what experimental structural biology is
all about; predicting their values is what homology modelling
is about. since these torsion angles do not have a unimodal
distribution (i.e., more than one "ideal" value) you cannot
impose "standard values". moreover, the ramachandran plot
in particular is often used as a hallmark of structural
quality in x-ray/nmr work, so "fudging" its appearance
might convey a false message - which i'm sure you wouldn't
want to happen

a better analogy would be the following: you build a model
of *my* house ! now, it's a safe bet that my house has a
front door and windows. but what you are trying to do is
decide what colour my wall paper is, without any experimental
observations of said wall paper ... sure, you modelling
my wall paper as "pink with elephants on it" makes your
prediction look very precise and detailed - but it is in
fact wholly inaccurate ! (honest!)

--dvd