CPU benchmarks

This is just to show a few of the results we've been getting running CNS

(CCP4 examples to follow next week) jobs on different CPU's.
Its by no means an exhaustive benchmarking test.

We ran two CNS jobs from the nsf sad phasing tutorial, just to test our
own systems, but I thought you may be interested in the results.
Especially the on the AMD ATHLON CPU.

All compilation was carried out using the default optimization
parameters (ie. no extra
optimization tried).
SGI: compilers 7.3
PC/MAC fort77/f2c gave a faster executable compared which gcc/g77.
Commercial Portland group compilers gave a very fast executable for CNS.

The PC/MAC  had 128MB RAM and were running under Linux Redhat 6.1 and
linuxPPC respectively.

Thanks to Ilya Goldberg and Piotr Sliz for help in compiling and
testing.

Computer
CNS job
Time
Total Time (mins)
Alpha 21264 (CNS tutorial)
heavy.inp /sad_phase.inp
2940/720
61
SGI IndigoII R10000/175Mhz
"
5754/1243
117
SGI Octane R10000/175Mhz
"
5591/1224
114
SGI Origin 200 R10000/225Mhz
"
4350/960
88.5
PentiumII 400Hz
"
6949/2452
157
PentiumII 400Mhz (Portland group compilers)
"
5302/1654
116
Mac 400Mhz G4/linuxppc
"
5277/not run
--
Pentium III 500MHz (fort77/f2c))
"

2611/749
56
begin:vcard
n:Litster;Steve
tel;fax:617-355-3506
tel;work:617-355-6563
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://crystal.harvard.edu
version:2.1
email;internet:litster@crystal.harvard.edu
title:Computer Systems Manager
org;quoted-printable:Howard Hughes Medical Institute/Harvard University;Departments of Biological Chemistry=0D=0A                           and Molecular Pharmacology and Pediatrics (HMS)
adr;quoted-printable:;;Enders Research Building=0D=0A320, Longwood Avenue;Boston;MA;02115;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Steve Litster
end:vcard