Re: [ccp4bb]: mosflm question

On Tue, 4 Apr 2000, Darren D'Arcy wrote:

> > I just installed Mosflm6.01 on ourLinux box.  I am running RH6.1.  The
> > interface comes up ok, and I am able to pick spots but when I ask the
> > program to index the whole thing hangs up.  The images are from a Mar300
> > and display fine.  Here is a bit of the output from the  mosflm.lp file
> >
> >    987 spots written for image    1
> >  A total of   987 spots were written to file
> > DPS Indexing using  534 reflections with I >=  20 I/sigma(I)
> >
> > I am running the latest version of CCP4 with the recompiled Xtal_View
> > libraries.
> >
> Hi Leonard,
> 	I possibly had a similar problem when I compiled it for RH6.1. The
> solution was to have the colour depth at no more than 16. If that is not
> the problem, enter in to the mosflm directory (untar the distribution) and
> changes some of the code which contains the following

Hi

This is unlikely to be the problem!! The colour depth problem is caused by
a problem in the xdl_view libraries (which should be fixed by Dave Love,
see his posting on this newsgroup a few weeks ago).

> C C .. Parameters ..
>       INTEGER IXWDTH
>       PARAMETER (IXWDTH=8000)
>       INTEGER IYLENGTH
>       PARAMETER (IYLENGTH=8000)
>

> Change IXWDTH=8000 to IXWDTH=6144 (Has to be TWICE the max image
> size in X)
> Change IYLENGTH=8000 to IYLENGTH=3072
>
> These lines are in the mosflm_all_ip_imc.for file
> and a
> few more files in the mosflm dir. They appear more than 165 times!
> Then recompile mosflm. Hopefuly one of the solutions will work. And

This fixes a problem which people have when their machines _don't_ hae
128Mb swap (it allows users to process enormous images; the fix above will
allow most users to process most images and have smaller swap space - I
think!!)

> Remember you must have at least 128MB swap space.
> Thanks to Andrew Leslie and Harry powell for this information

it's what we're here for!

Can I just repeat something that I've posted before on this BB? If you
have problems with mosflm (especially with crashes and hangups), the
people to contact in the first instance are Andrew and/or me; except when
we're both out of town, we have the fixes to hand!

Oh - BTW, _before_ asking anyone, it's worthwhile having a look at URL
http://www.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/harry/mosflm, which has fixes for numerous
problems and hints for installation. It's not comprehensive, but I do have
answers to most questions there.

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre, Hills
Road, Cambridge, CB2 2QH