[ccp4bb]: Developer question...

Developers...

    I have been working on a open-source molecular visualization,
ray-tracing, and animation system called "PyMOL" (Python-based). The
program is coming along quite well (http://www.pymol.org ), but isn't
quite ready yet for general usage.  A pre-compiled "alpha" quality
release should be available this fall for SGI and Linux.  Interested
hackers can download the current source via CVS at
http://pymol.sourceforge.net , but I wouldn't bother just yet.  I am
looking for developers and collaborators on this project, but today I
have a specific question:

    Right now, a top priority right now is adding map visualization and
rendering capabilities.  I have already written fast isosurfacing and
mesh code, but does anyone know where I might find C source code for
reading and writing electron density maps in the most common formats?
Open source would be ideal, but all I need is a working example to
copy.  Alternatively, is there a good document describing the CCP4 map
formats?  I already browsed the fortran sources, but I would prefer to
avoid having to manually f2c them.

Thanks in advance for any help!  Soon it should be possible to achieve
bobscript/molscript/raster3d quality images directly from PyMOL without
editing any scripts...

- Warren

--
mailto:warren@sunesis-pharma.com