Re: [ccp4bb]: Co-crystallisation with hydrophobic ligands

Sounds pretty soluble to me, so it's a question of relative experience.
I'd like to have 10-20 x Ki to make sure all active sites are occupied,
but if I could not get to that concentration, I'd just soak the crystal
in a solution containing some solid chunk of the naughty ligand, wait the
universal time unit (overnight) and shoot some X-rays. Your crystals may
tolerate some percentage of DMSO as well, so you'll up the ligand
solubility, and protect your crystal from radiation damage while you're
at it (see DMSO as a free radical scavenger). Good luck.

Leo James wrote:

> ***    CCP4 home page http://www.dl.ac.uk/CCP/CCP4/main.html    ***
>
> Hi,
>
> Im wondering if anyone has any clever strategies for co-crystallising
> complexes with very hydrophobic ligands.  The ligands I am using are
> insoluble at concentrations upwards of 100-200µM in buffer and are
> soluble in DMSO only up to 50mM.
>
> Many thanks for your time,
>
> Leo James
begin:vcard
n:Kryger;Gitay
tel;pager:+972-54-494725 SMS Text
tel;cell:+972-54-494725 GSM
tel;fax:+972-3-765 8555
tel;home:+972-3-9013292
tel;work:+972-3-765 8529
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:www.cgen.com
org:Compugen Ltd.;Computational Chemistry and Drug Design
adr:;;72 Pinchas Rozen St.;Tel-Aviv;;69512;Israel
version:2.1
email;internet:gitay@compugen.co.il
title:Ph.D.
fn:Gitay Kryger