Re: [ccp4bb]: translational NCS

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Holly Jing wrote:

> I have a pseudo translational NCS which relates the 4 mols
> in the asymmetric unit by ~(0.5, 0, 0) and ~(0.25, 0.25, 0).
> The 4 mols differ slightly on the domain angle as a
> result of lattice packing.

you asked some very good questions, which i will not answer.

i will instead mention that in at least 2 cases i have seen such unusual
'translation-only' NCS regularize into crystallographic symmetry when
cryoprotectant was soaked into the mother liquor and the crystals were
frozen.  so it may be possible that by going back to the lab bench you
could work your way around these troubles.

"The Wrong Hat is like wearing an enormous sign, duct-taped to a plumber's
helper stuck to your head, that says, "I'm a moron."  - Mimi Pond
                        David J. Schuller
                        modern man in a post-modern world
                        University of California-Irvine
                        schuller@uci.edu