Re: [ccp4bb]: Linux tape backup

There has been a lot of discussion here about backup
but no ideal solution. CD-R's are too small, DVD's are
are interesting, but still not standardized and very
slow to write I have heard. DLT tapes and the like
are rather costly. In general, I don't trust magnetic
media for long term storage and would much perfer
an optical solution. Orb drives are very interesting:
2.5GB/disk for  30 USD. They claim 12MB/sec
transfer rate over fastest SCSI.

We're also looking at getting a large RAID system.
Anyone care to comment of systems that work well
with Linux?

Richard Gillilan
MacCHESS
Cornell University