Re: [ccp4bb]: Linux-PC performance and xtallography

We just obtained a 1 GHz Athlon based box. It is faster than our
"number-crunching" machine (Origin 200), about twice as fast.

Now of course, the 1.1 GHz Athlon processor just came out. Now for the
Intel Pentium IV: news is that it is not ready for consumption yet.

Parallel processing: BeoWulf Linux (sold by RedHat nowadays) can manage
parallel computing on a cluster of Linux boxes. But I think only molecular
dynamics programs have a parallelized version available.

Fred.

--
s-mail: F.M.D. Vellieux (B.Sc., Ph.D.)
        Institut de Biologie Structurale J.-P. Ebel CEA CNRS UJF
        41 Avenue des Martyrs
        38027 Grenoble Cedex 01
        France
Tel:    (+33) (0) 476889605
Fax:    (+33) (0) 476885494
e-mail: vellieux@ibs.fr
Don't even think of asking me: "I would              Het leven is genieten
    if I could, but I can't" (L.R., 1998)               (to live is to enjoy)
key: FMDV
BEGIN_ELECTRONIC_SIGNATURE
M/R-:@ZF:!H)4!":,+WW$O;CZMD.9)UDE'9=GB8HB/]>X><9JL0+B,:..\_@J
MP/H/0?*ZM_GS&C'30I,>S1G3UI>T-H;`!!>N'*JT1?[?;#OW[]UR'@YY2X`Z