Re: [ccp4bb]: refining two conformations related by crystallographic symmetry

Addition to the summary-

Apparently this was the case of an answer so obvious that everyone assumed I had
received the answer already by ten private emails, so didn't bother to reply
(perhaps also a case of a nubie troubling the newsgroup with a question he could
have answered for himself by reading the FAQs) - anyway my summary showed
at least one person that I still hadn't got it. Lest anyone save my summary
as the final word, let me point out that the procedure Weiru showed me was
for a pre-release version of CNS, and the correct procedure with CNS-SOLVE 1.0
is described in the CNS FAQ as reported by Manisha Goel:

 from the CNS online site, http://cns.csb.yale.edu/v1.0/
 the last question under the heading refinement in FAQ gives the script and
 explains where to make these changes.
It says:
A. You can use the igroup statement to turn the pvdw (Packing-Van-der-Waals) interactions off by setting the weight to zero:

 igroup
   interaction (molecule) (molecule) weights * 1.0 pvdw 0.0 end
 end

If you have other molecules in the asymmetric unit, you have to define the interactions explicitly. For example.

 igroup
   interaction (rest) (rest) end
   interaction (rest) (molecule) end
   interaction (molecule) (molecule) weights * 1.0 pvdw 0.0 end
 end

Replace (rest) and (molecule) by the appropriate atom selections.

The next question is where to put the igroup statement. For example, in minimize.inp or anneal.inp, search for igroup. The
statement you will find is for alternate conformations. Right after the end statement of that igroup block, insert your own igroup statements
as outlined above.
This will only work if there are no alternate conformations. Otherwise a more complicated sequence of igroup interactions must be
given, which simultaneously take both the alternate conformations and the molecule across the symmetry operation into account.

--
Edward A. Berry, MailStop 3-250
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory