Re: [ccp4bb]: Twinning/Merging

As said before, you should examine each crystal individually, especially
the TRUNCATE output (if available).  Crystals with different twinning
fractions will merge poorly, of course. Also a twinning fraction of
significantly less than 0.5 will give poor statistics for one individual
crystal in the apparent high-symmetry space group. Another very trivial
point: are you sure that you crystals have been indexed consistently? IN
P3(1/2)21 you have two different orientations which will give different
solutions for indexing: h,k,l and -h,-k,l. Each one is perfectly valid but
different crystals must be indexed consistently in the same orientation
before merging. You can keep one crystal as reference indexed as it is and
merge another one indexed as h,k,l or h,-k-l. Normally one would expect
results in the order of 40 % if the crystals are not indexed consistently
but two of your three crystals are of course indexed in the same
orientation and the third one might be indexed in the other orientation by
chance and hence spoil the whole data set. Please not that this indexing
ambiguity has nothing to do with handedness or twinning. Each orientation
is indexed in a right-handed way.

**  Ulrich Baumann, Dpt. f. Chemie und Biochemie **
**  Universitaet Bern, Freiestrasse 3            **
**  CH-3012 Bern, Switzerland                    **
**  phone +41-(0)31-631-4320/4324, fax -4887     **