Re: [ccp4bb]: Image production: in detail

Hi,

Some suggestions are..

>GRASP: Grasp would produce nice .ps files. However, for purpose of
>further processing, such as for labeling charged residues, I have to
>outport it from SGI to Adobe Photoshop in PC.

(1) For adding text inside a .ps format file, you don't need to switch
from Unix platform to windows (for photoshop) in PC. You can use 'xfig' (a
freeware from ftp.x.org)

xfig

-Works fine with most Unix platforms (e.g. Linux Red-Hat).
-xfig can also convert .ps to .tiff (and many formats) for labeling.
-xfig is useful in preparing word processing documents using LaTeX.

Well, I am not advertising for xfig.. so, stopping here.

(2) ImageMagick is another good program. I think, most linux RedHat
versions has this program by default. However, for skipping the
installation troubles, use the binaries - available for various platforms.

Check these websites:

http://ftp.nluug.nl/graphics/ImageMagick/binaries/home.html
http://www.planetmirror.com/pub/imagemagick/binaries/
http://ftp.vim.org/graphics/ImageMagick/binaries/home.html
http://www.ccl.net/cca/software/X-WINDOW/ImageMagick/binaries/index.shtml

I am sure that there will be more suggestions from others.

Cheers,
Ravi

Dr. S. Ravichandran                   |
Postdoctoral Fellow                   | Home:
Prof. W.N. Lipscomb's group           |
Dept of Chemistry & Chemical Biology  | 47, Gardner street
Harvard University                    | Apartment No. 15,
12, Oxford Street, Cambridge          | Allston, MA 02134
MA 02138                              | USA
USA                                   |
Phone:  +1-617-4965-482               | Phone: +1-617-787-1499
FAX:    +1-617-4963-330               |
E-mail: ravi@gibbs.harvard.edu        |
        sankaran@fas.harvard.edu      |