[ccp4bb]: linux memory usage

Hi,

I am experiencing an annoying problem with my linux box that is
rendering it almost unusable. If I start from freshly booted machine and
start submitting cns or ccp4 jobs, the memory slowly gets eaten up to the
point where the machine crashes. If I push the reset button to
restart, the machine boots up still indicating by 'top' that memory
is used up. Then if I do a regular reboot, it looks like I get a clean
slate. The machine doesn't indicate that it is swapping to disk.

Prior to my last reboot ( with only two x-terminals running) according to
'top' 95% of the memory is used, but at the same time the running list
indicated that X is the largest user of memory at only 23%. Here are some
of the numbers from top:

257600 av,  245248 used, 12356 free, 136376 buff, 59028 cache

Then after reboot:

257600 av, 89188 used, 168412 free, 6269 buff, 45428 cache

FWIW, I am running RedHat 7.0 with a 1GHz AMD Athlon and 256 M RAM.

So .... does anyone have any ideas? This was an annoyance when I was
running cns scripts, but now that I have ccp4 working, I can run through
molrep once before I have to reboot, if I am lucky.

Thanks,

Kevin
battaile@mcw.edu