[ccp4bb]: linux, laptops, and firewire disks

BS"D

Dear Folks,

  This should be of interest to synchrotron users who wish to bring a
laptop and store their data on large disks attached to the laptop.

  We have succeeded in getting a high capacity (75GB) firewire disk
connected to a laptop running linux via a Cardbus firewire card.  This
means that you can bring several disks with you if you like, and swap
them as you fill them.  The disks are not hot-swapped so easily yet, but
at least you are not limited by expensive disks/sleds that fit into
expansion bays of laptops. You could also just connect the disks
directly to a firewire-capable linux station at home and work on the
data directly, and not have to transfer across networks, etc.  If you
put ccp4, hkl2000, etc., on the laptop, you could even process the data
on the plane on the way home!

If anyone is interest please send me a message, and I can send you a
text file of the basic steps required.  The instructions assume you know
something about linux.

Harry
  Harry M. Greenblatt           | Phone: 972-8-934-3625
  Research Assistant            | FAX  :           4159
  Dept. of Structural Biology   |
  Weizmann Institute of Science |
  Rehovot, Israel 76100         | Email: harry.greenblatt@weizmann.ac.il