[ccp4bb]: Program announcement: eleanorinabox

Here's a little program I hacked together while at a course in Hamburg. It
gets NCS ops automatically from heavy atom positions, using some suggestions
from Eleanor. (That's professor Dodson to you).

It's not very good (due to my programming, not Eleanor's suggestions). And it
would be a lot simpler if it were written with mmdb, but I didn't have an
mmdb install. But it is very fast, so there is nothing to lose by trying it.

It's a bit unstable unless the heavy atoms positions are reasonably refined.
The algorithm for extending the matched atom set basically needs replacing.
But the framework is there.

The output is copious and unprocessed. Although all the info that is needed
for an auto-ncs program is there, significant post-processing would be
required. I would re-write it with mmdb before putting too much effort into
something like that.

There is no error checking - the arrays could overflow (but it is unlikely).

There are some (possibly broken) gui files, and a sort of documentation page.

I'm too busy to run with this, so if any of you automation gurus wish to do
something with it feel free (license is CCP4 part(i), i.e. free software, no
warrenty, and should remain that way). I can make suggestions and add code
documentation if necessary.

Should compile with
   f77 -o eleanorinabox eleanorinabox.f $CLIB/libccp4.a

Get it from ftp://ftp.ysbl.york.ac.uk/pub/ccp4/eleanorinabox.tar.gz

Kevin

p.s. If it works for you, please tell me what settings you used. If it
doesn't work for you, please tell me that too.