RE: [ccp4bb]: Transporting xtals

  Contrary to other people's experiences, we have had no problems with frozen crystals post-September 11, neither carrying dewars
directly to the plane (and having ground staff placing them in the hold) nor sending them via DHL. ESRF can book tickets out of
London Heathrow with AirFrance which has a very good service compared to the budget airlines. We used to actually be able to strap
the dewars in some of the business-class seats, but thats obviously not possible any longer. For the DHL shipment, you'll need the
right transport code telling them that there's no liquid nitrogen in the containers.

  Concerning x-raying dewars, I have had dewars x-rayed many times and this has never really caused any problems (also post-Sept
11), but I guess that depends to some extent on the person operating the machine. Assuming the dewards have been emptied properly
for the liquid nitrogen, we find that they can easily be placed on the side while passing through the x-rays. Most x-ray sets
(sorry) do not allow the dewars to enter in the vertical orientation, even though I think London Stansted (Buzz, Go) have such a
device.

Good luck,

  Ditlev

---

Dr. Ditlev E. Brodersen, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral fellow

Medical Research Council          Phone:  +44 (0) 1223 252945
Laboratory of Molecular Biology   Mobile: +44 (0) 7866 563050
Hills Road                        Fax:    +44 (0) 1223 213556
Cambridge CB2 2QH                 Email:  ding@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
United Kingdom                    WWW:    http://alf1.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/~ding