Re: [ccp4bb]: Transporting xtals

We have not been out to synchrotrons after September 11th, but just before
that I sorted out a procedure with Buzz/Stanstead that worked at least
reasonable well at that time.

We asked the Buzz cargo department to get a clearance for the dewar to
take on the plane (As recommended by the pilot I had chat with in
the cockpit during the  flight back the previous time - ever so exiting
:-), and this certainly helped  with the ground staff - I even got a
"BUZZ" vest and got to carry  the dewar literally into the plane cargo
hold (again, exiting, but was not allowed to keep the vest :-).

We  also faxed a  request for security clearance for airport from the
security manager. We used the large X-ray machine at the side of the
terminal (for bikes, skies, buggies) and with the letter  from the
security some escorted us through the normal check-in after that. It has
looked to me always like you could see right  through the dewar, but
perhaps that is not the case always. We have Taylor-Wharton CP100 dewars.

Whether this works in the current state of air travel security, I do not
know, but there was certainly less hassle from the ground staff when they
were informed of it in advance. And it is in their interest as well to
spend less time at the terminal sorting these things out.

Good luck, Marko

PS. Just saw Jim's mailing. clearly a procedure such as above hasn't been
all that helpful for them. But at least with Buzz there are people who do
know about dewars and stuff. Just make sure you mention it when booking
the tickets.

 Marko Hyvonen, PhD
 Department of Biochemistry
 University of Cambridge