Re: [ccp4bb]: protein oil out

May depend on the concentration. Bile salt and polyoxyethylene
detergents can be salted out by high salt, giving phase separation.
Scarborough ((1994) Large Single Crystals of the Neurospora crassa
Plasma Membrane H+-ATPase: an Approach to the Crystallization of
Integral Membrane Proteins. Acta Cryst. D50: 643-649.) got the idea
that a way to crystallize membrane proteins was to adjust conditions
so that the detergent and the protein were salting out at the same
time.

But if the protein by itself salts out as a liquid droplet, I can
imagine a low concentration of detergent could help keep it in
solution long enough to crystallize.

Perhaps this kind of question will be covered in Hermann
Schägger's forthcoming book:
Membrane Protein Purification and Crystallization: A practical
guide, Eds. Hunte, C., Schägger, H. and von Jagow, G., Academic
Press, in press

Thanks for no one jumping on my spelling error. I really do know
the difference between presence and presents.

Ed