Re: [ccp4bb]: Protein crystals with a 10 His tag?

I work on a protein that crystallises with the His-tag cut off
(the pProEx-Ht[a-c] vectors from Lifetechnologies come with a 6xHis-tag
and a Tev cleavage site), but not with the His tag left on. As far as I
know, His-tags are believed to be unstructured and flexible, i.e., they
inhibit crystallisation. Therefore, the shorter the better, but this must
not always be true. The charged tag may as well positively alter your
proteins behaviour.
Tim

--
Deep in the human mind there is a pervasive need for a logical universe
that makes sense. But the real universe  is always

               				 - from "The Sayings of Muad'Dib"
--                     				 by the Princess Irulan -
Tim Gruene, grune@embl-grenoble.fr
EMBL Outstation Grenoble
6 Rue Jules Horowitz
BP 181