Re: [ccp4bb]: Phasing with FeS cluster

Thanks for the respones. Sorry that I didn't mention the program I tried out
was with SHARP.

Yes, I am quite serious about getting help (hence this e-mail), so here is an
abridged list of what I've tried so far:

1) Molecular replacement of a protein with 26 % identidy (I cut out the
domains before making a search model) - tried Amore, MolRep, EPMR and CNS at
4A and 5A. No luck.

2) Rigid body refinement of an ideal 4Fe-4S cluster in PHASES (using GREF)
with MAD data, then refining in SHARP using f' and f'' values taken from an
EXAFS scan. I used only the Fe positions from GREF, and refined them in
SHARP. The atoms move such that the Fe-Fe distances are all wrong. I know 3A
should be good enough to separate out the Fe atoms - but I can't at the
moment (hence this e-mail)

3) I tried using SOLVE with a fine grid search for 4 Fe atoms (ntol_site 1,
ntol_soln 1). It found 2 of them, so I tried placing an ideal 4Fe-4S cluster
in its position so that 2 Fe atoms match the results in SOLVE. Couldn't get a
decent fit in the SOLVE electron density blob.

4) The current method described in my previous e-mail was done in SHARP,
which I have been told is very good at handling f' and f'' refinement.

5) Space group is P212121 - 66A x 108A x 111. 1 molecule per ASU, with 1
4Fe-4S cluster.

NOTE!!!! I have Os, Hg, and Pb derivatives - I am NOT trying to solve the
structure just from Fe MAD (I doubt its possible).

Sorry if I have forgotten any relevant information. Please let me know if
I missed anything.

Thanks

AGS