RE: [ccp4bb]: refinement weights

In my experience I get very good results in all different refinement
programs when I set the relative weights such that the final rmsd for bond
lengths is about 0.012-0.015 Angstrom and the rmsd for bond angles is around
1.5-2.0 degrees. Regarding the doubling of the wa in CNS: if you look at the
scalenbulk module, which determines that weight, the refined wa is divided
by a factor of 2. This factor was introduced later (as Paul Adams told me),
but I always remove it, because otherwise CNS refines the model with, in my
experience, too tightly restrained geometry.
In REFMAC use the command "WEIG EXPE MATR" followed by a value that has to
be lower for tighter geometry. I usually end up with values around "0.5".

Regards,

Dirk.

Dirk Kostrewa
Paul Scherrer Institut   e-mail: dirk.kostrewa@psi.ch
Life Sciences             phone: +41-56-310-4722
OSRA/007                    fax: +41-56-310-4556
CH-5232 Villigen PSI        WWW: http://sb.web.psi.ch
Switzerland