Re: [ccp4bb]: [new subject] TLS refinement

> The publications describing the implmentation of TLS in restrain and
> tlsanal had, I seem to remember, some calculations of corrections to
> stereochemical restraints. Maybe if these were applied to the
> "traditionally" refined model then the differences might be accounted
> for.

The libration-corrected bond length is:

d = d_0 ( 1 + 1/2 [Tr(L) - n.L.n ] )

i.e. the correction is proportional to the magnitude of L.
For side chain groups with large L, this is a significant correction.
For large TLS groups, L tends to be smaller and the correction
is probably negligible.

This correction can be seen at high resolution, and could be modelled
with small TLS groups. But I don't think it is significant for
medium/low resolution TLS which is what many are doing these days.

Martyn

*                  Dr. Martyn Winn                                       *
*      Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington, WA4 4AD, ENGLAND     *
*      Tel: +44 1925 603455    E-mail: m.d.winn@ccp4.ac.uk (personal)    *
*      Fax: +44 1925 603825    E-mail: ccp4@ccp4.ac.uk  (CCP4 problems)  *
*          URL: http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/martyn/martyn.html                 *