[ccp4bb]: expected R-factors

Dear all

I am trying to calculate the R-factor between two different PDB models
(1qll and 1clp). Both models are really similar (over 96% ID).

Initially I superimposed both structures and assigned them a P1 cell (big
enough for any one of them, same cell for both), then I used SFALL to
calculate the Fcalc for each one of the 'recelled' model (MODE SFALL
HKLIN; resolution 30-2.0).

After that, I calculated the R-factor. Strangely it went over 80% (!!).
As far as I know, the theoretical values of R should be 59% for randomly
positioned atoms in a unit cell. Can anybody give me a hint?

Wen Hwa Lee, PhD
Computational biology
TSRI