Re: [ccp4bb]: simulation of averaging effect?

Dear JingHua,
I think this is complicated by the fact that iterative molecular averaging
as part of density modification does not simply average the structures,
but also changes the phases.

In applications such as spectroscopy, signal averaging increases the signal
to noise ratio because adding in more spectra increases the signal
proportionately while the random error partially cancels and increases
proportional to the square root of N.

While a single cycle of molecular averaging may improve density by the
same method, the real power comes from phase improvement. The phases
are recalculated at the end of each cycle. It has been shown that this
amounts to applying an iterative real space method to solve the
MR equations, i.e. find phases that are consistent with (a) the observed
amplitudes and (b) the NCS symmetry operators. If the NCS really does
apply, this gives improved phases and the density is better,
even in the final fft map without averaging.

If part of the asymmetric unit does not obey the NCS, The contribution
of that part to the phases will be worsened by averaging. This by
itself would not be a problem, because density modification programs
allow you to define areas which are neither averaged nor flattened
but carried through without modification.

However if crystal packing is determined by the symmetrical capsid,
the genome will take on each of 60 (64?) different orientations with
equal probability (frequency, occupancy). I guess it is this averaging
which takes place during crystal packing, and not the averaging during
density modification, that destroys the density of the non-symmetrical
parts.  Thus given the averaged structure that exists in the crystal,
NCS applies everywhere, and it is correct to use an averaging mask
which includes everything but solvent. The structure you obtain has
the genome averaged, not by the density modification but by the
crystal packing.

This could be simulated by calculating a map from
an assumed structure, doing a single cycle of molecular averaging,
and examining the averaged map. Use a program like the RAVE package
which gives you access to the intermediate steps. However you can
imagine what it would look like without doing the experiment-
60 copies of the structure in different orientations,
each at 1/60 occupancy. It would probably look a lot
like solvent!

Ed