[ccp4bb]: Mac OSX file system

We have a lot of users here who will potentially be using OSX to do
crystallography-related computing and graphics.  So, instead of having each
user maintain their own binaries, I wanted to test the feasibility of having
a central location for MacOSX binaries that would be accessible to everyone
running OSX.  My thinking was that I'd then only have to update the software
in this directory instead of having everyone do it themselves, or have me do
it individually on each Mac.  This way, instead of reinstalling the binaries
every time someone buys a new Mac, I can just have them add a standard
three-line .cshrc file and they'd be up and running in a fraction of the
time.

Anyway, I think I've worked the bugs out of it, so this is what I do:

1.  Automount osx binaries directory (optional, as you can mount the remote
disk using the Finder:Go:Connect To Server...):

a) I first create a dummy-directory in /Volumes called osx.
b) Then, I create a file called mount.command that contains the following:

    #!/bin/tcsh
    mount_smbfs //username:password@remote.disk/osx /Volumes/osx/

2.  Then, the first three lines of my OSX .cshrc file are:

    source mount.command ! automounts remote osx directory (optional)
    setenv MacOSX /Volumes/osx
    source $MacOSX/Darwin.cshrc

3. Then, in Darwin.cshrc, which 'lives' on my remote disk, I have the guts
of the environment variables setup.  For example, for O I have:

    # Ov8.0.5
    setenv ODAT $MacOSX/o8.0.5/data
    alias ono $MacOSX/o8.0.5/bin/osx_ono

And for CCP4, I have:

    # CCP4
    set path = ($path $MacOSX/ccp4/ccp4-4.1.1/ /usr/opewin/ )
    source $MacOSX/ccp4/ccp4-4.1.1/include/ccp4.setup

Currently, I can use all my binaries this way and everything runs great.

Chris

--
Dr. Christopher A. Waddling
University of California at San Francisco