Re: [o-info] Re: [ccp4bb]: Mac OSX file system

Automounting a remote disk is something I've had trouble with in OSX, and
judging by the OSX discussion pages, I'm not alone.  I don't think it's as
seamless as one would hope.  Believe it or not, this is the only way I've
seen in the discussions on how to automount a remote disk on startup.  If
anyone has another (easier) way to do it, I'm all ears.

Chris

On 4/24/02 10:48 AM, "David J. Schuller" <djs63@cornell.edu> wrote:

> MacOS X
>
> i have a question about a small detail. MacOS X is Unix, right?  and you
> say you're running automount?  then why do you call the mount command from
> your .cshrc files?  automount should mount a disk whenever it is required,
> including when you execute a file on that disk (the 'source' command).
> you should be able to eliminate the first line of your .cshrc files.
>
> cheers,

> "You can trust me, because I'm in the news media"  -- Dave Barry
>                       David J. Schuller
>                       modern man in a post-modern world
>                       MacCHESS, Cornell University
>                       djs63@cornell.edu
>
> On Wed, 24 Apr 2002, Chris Waddling wrote:
>
>> We have a lot of users here who will potentially be using OSX to do
>> crystallography-related computing and graphics.  So, instead of having each
>> user maintain their own binaries, I wanted to test the feasibility of having
>> a central location for MacOSX binaries that would be accessible to everyone
>> running OSX.  My thinking was that I'd then only have to update the software
>> in this directory instead of having everyone do it themselves, or have me do
>> it individually on each Mac.  This way, instead of reinstalling the binaries
>> every time someone buys a new Mac, I can just have them add a standard
>> three-line .cshrc file and they'd be up and running in a fraction of the
>> time.
>>
>> Anyway, I think I've worked the bugs out of it, so this is what I do:
>>
>> 1.  Automount osx binaries directory (optional, as you can mount the remote
>> disk using the Finder:Go:Connect To Server...):
>>
>> a) I first create a dummy-directory in /Volumes called osx.
>> b) Then, I create a file called mount.command that contains the following:
>>
>>     #!/bin/tcsh
>>     mount_smbfs //username:password@remote.disk/osx /Volumes/osx/
>>
>> 2.  Then, the first three lines of my OSX .cshrc file are:
>>
>>     source mount.command ! automounts remote osx directory (optional)
>>     setenv MacOSX /Volumes/osx
>>     source $MacOSX/Darwin.cshrc
>>
>> 3. Then, in Darwin.cshrc, which 'lives' on my remote disk, I have the guts
>> of the environment variables setup.  For example, for O I have:
>>
>>     # Ov8.0.5
>>     setenv ODAT $MacOSX/o8.0.5/data
>>     alias ono $MacOSX/o8.0.5/bin/osx_ono
>>
>> And for CCP4, I have:
>>
>>     # CCP4
>>     set path = ($path $MacOSX/ccp4/ccp4-4.1.1/ /usr/opewin/ )
>>     source $MacOSX/ccp4/ccp4-4.1.1/include/ccp4.setup
>>

>> Currently, I can use all my binaries this way and everything runs great.
>>
>> Chris

Dr. Christopher A. Waddling
University of California at San Francisco
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics
513 Parnassus Ave
S-1176
San Francisco, CA
94143-0448