Re: [ccp4bb]: Oils with Conventional Mounts

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, James Stroud wrote:
>
> > Has anyone used oil to stabilize otherwise labile crystals for a
> > conventional room temperature mount?

I have collected data with lysozyme using room
temperature oil vs conventional capillary on the
same beamline and get some disturbing results.
I am fairly sure the crystals did not slip since
they were large. Capillary crystals survived many
1 sec exposures on our hot A1 beamline while
oil-mounted crystals required attenuation and
even then died after just a couple exposures.
I would be interested to hear if anyone else
has tried this. I'm guessing the oil does not
dissipate heat well (it is an insulator after all).
Obviously it is not a problem at LN2 temps.

 Richard Gillilan
 MacCHESS
 Cornell