RE: [ccp4bb]: molecular replacement woes!

Hi Cheenu

Orthorhombic space groups that are NOT P212121 are really very rare, so
it is very likely that you have assigned the wrong spacegroup to your
data.

Here's the old wisdom, passed from supervisor to student through the
ages (or was there somebody that said it first?  Anybody?):

	"The spacegroup is a hypothesis, confirmed ONLY once the
structure has 	been fully refined."

(And sometimes not even then.)

So if you go round assigning spacegroups based only on the data, you're
setting yourself up for many months of futile hacking at some spacegroup
- particularly if you decide on something that's not P212121.

I assume you made your assignment based on the systematic absences
printed by scalepack (?).  A non-obvious feature of the program (most
programs that do this, in fact) is that that if you never actually
recorded the relevant reflections to begin with, scalepack doesn't print
them either - and doesn't tell you that they're not measured.  But in
P222 they're easy to find, so scale in P222 and then look for them in
the .sca file (using grep or something on unix).  (Same applies for
mosflm/scala.)

That said, non-P212121 orthorhombics *do* happen, so, even if you did
measure all relevant reflections, they can still fool you, and it could
be worth trying out all the other combinations of screws as well.

No, the spacegroup that your model was in when it was solved has nothing
to do with your problem - that was a different crystal in a different
time.

How's the packing of your solution?  Any clashes?

Also, there are at least 4 other programs you could try:  amore, molrep,
epmr, beast.

Anyway, there are some tips.

phx.

the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be
guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be
contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please
request a hard-copy version.