Re: [ccp4bb]: molecular replacement woes!

> <FLAME>
> So, basically I would like to strongly disagree.
> </FLAME>

<NOFLAME>
Pure scientific discussion.
</NOFLAME>

> If you do have data at any resolution (the higher the better) and a
> molecular replacement
> model that you suspect it is correctly positioned, I would always use ALL
> the data.
> Thats your best chance to get the refinement going.

My comments came from experience, with current refinement programs, esp
CNS, and not from old and ancient programs or computers.

First, density modification can blow up.  Second, B factor refinement can
blow up.  These happened when I used high resolution data right away.
Having said that, I always calculate maps using the highest-resolution data
and use this to guide rebuilding.

Wai
Yu Wai CHEN, Ph.D. ..................   email:ywc@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
 Centre for Protein Engineering,             tel:+44-(0)1223-402148
 MRC Centre, Hills Rd, Cambridge CB2 2QH, UK fax:+44-(0)1223-402140
 WWW homepage: http://www.mrc-cpe.cam.ac.uk/~ywc