Re: [ccp4bb]: Firewire - Linux - upgrade of a Mandrake 7.2 box

I fully agree - It's certainly not a CPP4 question - however: I am fare
away of being a fire wall expert, but you should at first at the following
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Firewall-HOWTO.html

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002, Fred. Vellieux wrote:

> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 13:05:44 +0200 (CEST)
> From: Fred. Vellieux <vellieux@ibs.fr>
> To: ccp4bb@dl.ac.uk
> Subject: [ccp4bb]: Firewire - Linux - upgrade of a Mandrake 7.2 box

> Hi Folks,
>
> A question pertaining, NOT to CCP4 per se, but to computing:
> we currently have our Linux box operating Mandrake Linux 7.2.
> At the time, Firewire (IEEE 1394?) was not supported.
> The latest Mandrake distribution indicates automagic recognition...
> But we do not wish to install ML8 on this machine.
> So if any of the gurus out there know:
> Is there any way to upgrade our box so that we could use
> a PCI-Firewire card (so as to be able to use a firewire disk
> after synchrotron trips)?
> Thanks a lot folks (in advance).
>
> Fred.
>
> PS Hope this can be of interest to other CCP4 users!
>
> --
> s-mail: F.M.D. Vellieux (B.Sc., Ph.D.)
>         Institut de Biologie Structurale J.-P. Ebel CEA CNRS UJF
>         41 rue Jules Horowitz
>         38027 Grenoble Cedex 01
>         France
> Tel:    (+33) (0) 438789605
> Fax:    (+33) (0) 438785494
> e-mail: vellieux@ibs.fr

Swen Hartmut Tromm
EMBL Outstation Hinxton
European Bioinformatics Institute
Wellcome Trust Genome Campus
Hinxton Hall
CB10 1SD
UK

T ++44 (0) 1223 49 2534
F ++44 (0) 1223 49 4468

http://www.ebi.ac.uk/Information/Staff/sven_tromm.html

Einsiedel: Wie heißet' dich denn dein Meuder?

Simplicissimus:
Sie hat mich Bub geheißen, auch Schelm, ungeschickter
Galgenvogel.

        Hans Jakob Christoffel von Grimmelshausen
        1622-1676