[ccp4bb]: Reminder X-ray generators can bite

Dear All,

This is rather off-topic but I was ask to put this on the bb by Elspeth
Garman and thought that it was worthy of wider circulation.

Liz

#############################
Reminder - X-ray generators can bite.

	Following recent visits to other labs with home X-ray sources, I am
rather belatedly posting a warning about a hazard which can be easily
remedied
on the RU200H Rigaku generators from the small section of unguarded belt in
front of the anode motor. NOTE that this hazard is only present on the old
style ( green/grey ) RU-200/300 Rigaku generators. On the new style
RU-H2R/RU-H3R/FR-D generators that are CE marked, an additional belt guard
is
fitted to prevent such an occurrence.
	Some of you may already have heard that on 25/10/01 I suffered an
accident on our 14 year old generator when the wind around the exposed belt
sucked my loose hair into, and then swiftly round, the motor pulley when I
leaned into the back of the shelter to position an EEC approved radiation
safety switch, and my head was pulled at speed onto the metal motor casing.
suffered various unpleasant injuries which required A and E hospital
treatment,
and from which I was very fortunate not to be permanently affected.
	I strongly advise that a removable guard be fitted to cover the
exposed
part of the belt, and that everyone is advised to tie their hair up if they
are
working near the X-ray generator. I can provide drawings of a suitable
removable guard if anyone needs one.
 	Regards
	Elspeth Garman

Dr. Elspeth F. Garman,				Tel: (44)-1865-275398
Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics,			with voice mail.
Rex Richards Building,				FAX: (44)-1865-275182
University of Oxford, 				E-mail:
elspeth@biop.ox.ac.uk
South Parks Road,
OXFORD, OX1 3QU, U.K.