Re: [ccp4bb]: CCP4 computing platform

Klaas Decanniere wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For CCP4 computing and other crystallographic processing.
> Would you prefer a big number-crunching server (SGI origin300 type) or a
> collection of high-end PC's running linux (separate or as a beowulf-type
> machine), with perhaps some money left for a serious party.
>
> In other words: what would be your recommended system(s)?

I would go for an Xserve from Apple and in case your're not in favour of OS X.2,

I would recommend Yellow Dog Linux 2.3.

Here are some links:

http://www.apple.com/xserve/

http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/ydl_home.shtml

and a few benchmarks:

http://www.xinet.com/benchmarks/benchmarks.2002/

Juergen

--
Juergen Bosch                                    Tel -49 -89 8578 2648
Max Planck Institut fuer Biochemie               Fax -49 -89 8578 2641