[ccp4bb]: Re: Molecular Replacement in F23

HI there,

I also had problems with molecular replacement in F23. The structure I was
trying to solve was dodecameric, but with 1 mol in the AU (i.e. the
dodecamer was formed by the symmetry operataions), therefore extensive
crystal contacts.

In AMoRe the rotation function gave very poor results, therefore the
resulting transaltion searchs gave poor solutions (CC < 20%, R > 60%)
I used 3 different search models (full and poly-Ala) and the results were
similar.

The molecular replacememt was solved with EPMR, using a poly-alanine
search model,(CC 35%, R 52%)

For the successfull EPMR run I increased the population size to 400 per
generation, and used a minimum bump radius equal to the radius of the
search model

EPMR takes a while to run, but in cases where AMoRe has not
worked in our group, EPMR has brought some success.

all the best

david robinson

David A Robinson
Protein Crystallography		e-mail: davidar@chem.gla.ac.uk
Dept. of Chemistry
Joseph Black Building		tel: 0141 330 6180
University of Glasgow		fax: 0141 330 4888
Glasgow
G12 8QQ